Concert: Janelle Monáe
Book: Questlove’s Mo Meta Blues
Album: Last year was easy. This year, not so much. Yeezus, Random Acces Memories, Pure Heroin, The 20/20 Experience, Cupid Deluxe, Nothing Was The Same just to name a few.
Mixtape: Chance The Rapper – Acid Rap
Free album: Mr. Probz – The Treatment
Artist: Pharrell. No album out and constantly being everywhere? 2013 was Pharrell’s best year since 2003.1
Movie: I think it’s impossible to name one movie that was the best movie of 2013. How can you possibly compare a comedy like Don Jon to big-budget action flicks like Iron Man 3 and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire2, or an indie film like The Way, Way Back (or the great Drinking Buddies) with something like Gravity? You just can’t.3
Sports movie: Rush. Who knew Chris Hemsworth could actually act?
VFX in a movie: Gravity. Cuaron’s 13-minute, uncut opening scene is unmatched.
Weirdest scene: The Counselor. Just see it and you know which one I mean.4
Comeback: Daft Punk
Moment in sport: A tie between Ray Allen’s championship saving three pointer and Ajax’ first 49 minutes against FC Barcelona.
Digital: It’s small, but can change the way you live: the Nike+ FuelBand SE.5
Concert: Missing J. Cole’s gig in Amsterdam due to my first flu in ten years.
Book: Dan Brown’s Inferno. Reading that book is like reading a tourist guide without pictures.
Artist: Robin Thicke. Despite having one of the songs of the year, he totally messed things up with Blurred Lines (the album) and touring with Maroon 5.
Grammys: Jay Z gets nine nominations, while Yeezy gets two? The Grammys are getting worse each year.6
Movie: White House Down. By a mile.
Sports moment: Rose’s injury, Messi’s injuries, a year without either a World Cup or an European Championship, this Balotelli penalty against Ajax in the 94th minute. I can go on and on.
Hype: Twerking. Or Miley Cyrus. Or both.
Missed opportunity: Beyoncé. Starting the year by shutting down the electricity during her Super Bowl performance, but didn’t release the much anticipated follow-up to 4. Her HBO doc Life Is But A Dream didn’t really help, too. 2013 could easily have been Beyoncé’s year, but she missed the opportunity completely.
- And he was a KING that year. Excuse Me Miss, Beautiful, Rock Your Body, Senorita, Frontin’, Change Clothes, Milkshake, Hot Damn, Drop It Like It’s Hot and Grammy nominations for Album of the Year as a producer on Nellyville and Justified. And with the way Pharrell seems to never get older, we can expect another huge year from him in 2023. ↩
- You can’t underestimate the importance of Jennifer Lawrence’s presence in this film series. She alone sets The Hunger Games apart from series like Twilight. ↩
- Important sidenote: I haven’t seen many of the films that are eligible for the Best movie of the year-title, like Fruitville Station, Her, American Hustle, The Wolf of Wall Street and 12 Years a Slave. Why not? It sucks to live in Europe. ↩
- Cameron Diaz plays a terrific role in The Counselor. Probably also the most overlooked movie of the year. ↩
- Okay, to be honest, the PS4 or the Xbox One should have been here. I haven’t had a chance to use either of them yet, so maybe next year. ↩
- I’ll only take that back when Kendrick Lamar wins the Grammy for Best Album. Not going to happen. More on the insanity of the Grammys? Read this great piece about confusing R&B categories. ↩